Monday, November 8, 2010

All Year Long We Wait For Sun... At The Beach We Come Undone

I'm back... for now! This past weekend I spent my time in sunny, amazing, beautiful Barcelona! It was absolutely gorgeous there... and it didn't help that it was freaking November 5ish and it was in the 70's... pure heaven. The trip was supppper amazing... but I def had trouble rallying for it. I have realized that it is really hard to pick up and leave every weekend. I am never in the same city for very long... it takes its toll on you. SOO long story short, I was kind of dreading this trip. I spent all of last weekend in Croatia, had two days at home, and had to leave again... I was NOT mentally prepared... but I forced myself to get a move on and it was SOO worth it. The actual trip to Barce is a trek! Seriously! We flew out of Bologna on Ryan Air so just getting there was a hassle. I took the fast train to the station and then the 4 of us hopped in a cab to go to the airport. We waited for our gate to open, sat in the airport for 2 hours, and finally boarded the plane to Girona. The flight was uneventful, but then we had an hour bus to Barce. We finally got to the hostel (nicest one to date... eek I really hate hostels!) and all settled by 10:30, perfect time to get dinner, walk around, and go to bed. Travel days really do suck!

The next day started out with a bang. We wanted to find an interesting way to see the city, and some of our friends recommended renting go carts, so obviously we were interested. My friend Greg and I were the only two to have our licenses, so therefore I had to drive. It was probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. We drove around the legittt streets of Barcelona in little yellow go carts. It had GPS and told us where to go... so we went. I drove all around the streets, seeing the Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, ect... all from my little yellow car. The GPS was pretty good, but sometimes it didn't quite let us know what to do in time. We got so off track and stuck in roundabouts... all while cabs are honking and vespas were breezing past from all directions. I could not get over to save my life... I thought I was going to die. I think I may have kissed the ground when I got out of that death mobile... but it was an adventurous way to see the city forrrr sure.

After the death tour we went to find the Olympic Staduim. It was up away from the city and it was just a beautiful part of town. It was so serene being up there. It was quiet, spacious, and peaceful. It didn't help that it was 70 degrees. We decided to walk back down the hill rather than spend more money on the subway. That turned out to be an awesome decision. We walked through this amazing, green park, right by this castle looking museum, down into the heart of the city. It was a nice little jaunt... we even sucked it up and walked back to our hostel.. we LOVE walking on GIF. We walked down La Rambla for dinner... and I got starbucks for the 2nd time that day... too amazing!

The next day was GO GO GO. I got up early (for some reason I could not sleep past 8 this weekend... who am I turning into??) and ready to go! After getting my fix of starbucks (#3 hehe) we decided to head to Guell Park because everyone said it had the worlds longest bench, which it did but it had SO much more! We took the subway to the foot of the hill, where we were met by escalators (thats right... Spain knows whats up... so much easier!) and got to the top of the hill where we entered the Park. Right away there is an awesome view of the city, and a nice little hill you can walk to where there is some crosses and an AWESOME view of the entire city. There was a nice little path as you wrapped around the Park, with these cave like passages.. it was amazing. The bench was there as well... it was all tiled and beautiful. The park is extra beautiful because it is the creation of Gaudi. His architecture is just cool.... like fo reals. We continued with the Gaudi trend by visiting the Sagrada Familia up close and personal. It was blocked off on the inside cause the POPE was there that weekend to bless it.. too bad we didn't get a glimpse of the PAPA in his pope mobile. That church is ridiculous. Gaudi once again is out of control... and its stillllll not finished.... who knows when that will happen.. but it sure is cool. The next stop of the day was the FC Barcelona complex. They weren't in town so we didnt get to go to a game, but it was an awesome complex. We went to the Mega store which was legit... even picked up a scarf... maybe I'll start liking soccer over here in Europe...(but I reallllly just wanna be watching my ZAGS play!) The last stop of the day was the Marina to watch the sunset. It was heaven... made we miss those lazy summer days in Magnolia down by the water.

That night was truly ridiculous and one of the most fun experiences ever. We went to the ICEBAR... on the beach... weird I know. We got a big puffy jacket and headed into the ice room. The drinks were GREAT in our ice cups... and it was just so fun being in there... we were a bit out of control... taking more pictures that ever... it was such a blast. We totally changed climates and walked out to spend the remaining hours of the night on the beach... getting asked if we want drugs (and turning them down!) by sketch ball spaniards. It was such a blast.

Barce was a bundle of fun and even though we did a ton! it was relaxing to be by the water and in the 70 degree heat when it was the beginning of November.... and I got starbucks 5(!) times... finally got my fix... i wanna go back! Ciaooo for now.

Music Guide: "All Summer" by Kid Cudi

No comments:

Post a Comment