Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I left my heart in VENICE!

So apparently I am using song titles (or variations of them) and lyrics as all of the names of my entries... I guess I'll just go with it! Anyway, I spent this past weekend in Venice and boy was it magical.  I have to say that it is probably my favorite city thus far. It was so beautiful, all of the alleyways and canals. I feel like I am such a Seattlite aka a sucker for a scenic water location. We also picked a perfect weekend to go, the sun was shining the first day we got there, we experienced a torrential down pour, and even saw flooding, but more on that later! I guess I'll start from the beginning!

We left friday morning, getting to spend thursday night in Firenze, which was a margarita filled blast! All of us seemed to be a bit sick of pasta and more pasta, so we headed to Tijuana... no literally we did! Thats the name of the Mexican restraunt in Flo and it was a hoot! Nothings better than a couple of pitchers of margs with your gal pals! ANYWAY back to Venice! After a fab 4 hour bus ride we made it to our CAMP SITE... yes you read that right, we camped... in these nasty trailers... which allowed for you to hear anything and everything... needless to say we spent more time not sleeping than anything else! After a quick break to throw our bags down we headed to the ferry to go to Venice! It was such a gorgeous day and the ride into Venice was heaven. It felt so good to sit on the top deck sailing into Venice with fresh air all around! We had a fabulous walking tour of the city, on a beautiful day, and even got to go inside St. Mark's Church and see the beautiful gold ceiling. Then we got on a gondola for a quick ride through the canals... magical. After word 2 friends and I headed out to window shop and find a bite to eat. Eating along the side of the canal, overlooking the Rialto, is just about heaven!

That night was the craziest DOWNPOUR/THUNDERANDLIGHTNING I have ever experienced! It literally rained and shook the ground the entire night. You would walk like 10 ft to the next trailer and be completely soaked... grosssss. And let's talk about those trailers... NASTY and to top it all off everything was damp from the rain. I just have to say THANKS mom for the sleeping sack... otherwise I would have puked from disgust. BUT the good thing about all of that rain was that it made the next day just that much cooler!

The next morning we headed over to Venice at around 10. Most of our group decided to go island hopping to see Morano and Borrano, but 4 friends and I decided to stay around Venice in hopes to see it flood! Which we did. That was just about one of the craziest things I have ever seen. The entirety of St. Mark's Square was under 6 inches of water and everyone was walking on wooden planks, which made getting around Venice a bit rough. To escape the water, my friend Katy and I left the group at the Dogger museum in order to shop some more. We headed across the Rialto and stumbled upon a fabulous market with all kinds of glass treasures! My jewelry supply has just improved greatly. After that we all met up for lunch and some more shopping. We wanted to find this huge Basilica with fabulous pieces of art, so we explored for a while and stumbled upon it. It was so beautiful inside. We even got to watch the sunset by the ferry dock while enjoying gelato... MAGIC. The campsite even seemed tolerable that night (maybe because we all lived in the beer garden instead of the trailers)...

ALL IN ALL Venice is magic.. im going back asap. Such a fabulous city! love tooo everyone!

AND PS. I'm sorry if this is a ramble fest.. its just so much easier to write how I talk.. i think it makes it more authentic any way.

Music Guide: "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" by Tony Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment